June 21, 2018

 

DirectionsSB

ContactUsSB

DonateNowSB

ShopNSupport


Join us Sunday:

Worship Service 9:30-11:15* AM

Youth Sunday School after service*

Adult Bible Study after service*

*Approximately 11:15 AM

 

Upcoming Events

 

Lindsey Heights
STEM Summer Camp

June 18-22 & June 25-29
1350 W North Avenue, Room 309

Game Design, Robotics, Robo Battles and more for Grades 3-5!

Learn more >>

 

Annual Block Party

Sunday, August 19 ~ Noon-3 p.m.
outside Cross Lutheran Church

Free food, information, entertainment and a chance to socialize with the church, neighbors, partners and more!

 

Vacation Bible School

July 9-13 ~ 5:30-8:15pm

Public Witness of Faith in a Time of Crisis: RECLAIMING JESUS.

More info, plus registration form & flier  >>

 

News & More

The Mural is Underway!

See how it's coming along >>


Read our June Newsletter

Engaging in the missions of Cross, a tribute to The Rev. Dr. James H. Cone, getting out in to the garden, community updates and more! >>

 

Last month June 2018 Next month
S M T W T F S
week 22 1 2
week 23 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
week 24 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
week 25 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
week 26 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Timeline 1870-1960

A Historical Timeline of Cross and the Community

  • On June 7, 1870, the Cross Evangelical Lutheran Congregation, Unaltered Augsburg Confession, was founded. Its first services were held in a rented home, which also contained a Lutheran school.
  • Just one year earlier, in 1869, the first African-American church in Milwaukee, St. Mark African Methodist Episcopal Church, was founded at the corner of Fourth and Cedar (Kilbourn). For nearly the next 100 years, Whites and African Americans worshiped separately.
  •  In 1875, the Cross congregation built a new church on donated land at 16th and Fond du Lac, moving into their new 65x40-ft. church on Christmas Eve, 1876.
  • By 1895, Cross added a new front structure, including a tower and steeple, plus a new balcony and pipe organ inside.
  • After the Civil War, African-Americans started to migrate north, pushed by threats of lynching from some Southern whites.
  • By 1900, 860 African-Americans lived in Milwaukee, mostly in an area called Bronzeville, between 2nd and 12th streets, and Highland and Walnut. At the same time, many of German and Scandinavian descent lived in the area around Cross Church, just four blocks west of Bronzeville.
  • In 1923, Cross Lutheran Church dedicated a new school building and parish hall.
  • In 1930, ground was broken for a new church building large enough to seat 700, and a parsonage -- the one that still serves us today.
  • Over the next 30 years, the congregation grew and added a succession of seminary student pastoral assistants and pastors to the staff.
  • In 1953, Cross Lutheran reached its peak membership at 1938 confirmed members and 2638 baptized members.
  • By the 1950s, the African-American population in Milwaukee had grown to 21,772.
  • Freeway construction in 1953 cut right through the heart of Bronzeville, and the Hillside Housing Project displaced many.
  • Cross Lutheran's first African-American members, attracted to the church by its Day School, were baptized at Cross in 1957, and confirmed in 1959.
  • In the 1960s, migration from the south increased the African-American population to 62,458, attracted by the availability of jobs in foundries, meat packing plants, and tanneries.

 Go to next page >>